Monday, September 17, 2012

This Day in History Sept 17 1972–MASH

My Dad loved the TV Show MASH.  He loved the books and the movie too – but the TV Show ran constant in our house as I was growing up.

Still 1I learned everything I know about Medicine from this, and to this day I call my pocket knife a “Tom Mix”. 

It was this show that made me believe everyone in the Army were drunks – and I honestly tried to live up to those shenanigans during my service (did we succeed Alby?).

Here is the synopsis of the first episode -

The eponymous pilot episode of M*A*S*H was filmed and completed in December, 1971. The episode's original airing took place on September 17, 1972, and it was repeated twice, on April 1 and August 5, 1973. It was written by Larry Gelbart and directed by Gene Reynolds, who received the Directors Guild of America Award for it. It was also nominated for Emmys in Directing and Writing.

Ho-Jon, the houseboy of Captains Hawkeye Pierce and Trapper John McIntyre, has been accepted to Hawkeye's college, but they must first raise a tuition for him. They hold a party while their commanding officer, Lt. Col Henry Blake, is away. There, they raffle off a weekend's R & R in Tokyo along with the company of a nurse, much to the chagrin of Majors Frank Burns and Margaret Houlihan.

It was in the Pilot episode that Frank first destroys THE Still from the SWAMP (pictured above)– and it was the research for this quick post that lead me to MASH4077thTV.Com – where they have a comprehensive look at THE Still throughout the series.   Its like a trip down memory lane…..one that ends with the Smithsonian

Still 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics