Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Guinness–What are you doing to me? (Review)

I make no attempts to display my love for Guinness Beer. 

Guinness Extra Stout being better in the Can vs the Bottle, was one of the first arguments I won with my wife.  We drank it the first night we met (and for the record, yes….I passed out on her floor, so a positive and negative equal a push). 

We go out of our way EVERY year to have a Guinness on our 44 StoneAnniversary (St. Patrick’s Day).

If ever there was  beer inculcated into my being….it is Guinness Extra Stout.

So, to say that I was excited about Guinness Black Lager, it would be an understatement. 

First, lets discuss Lager is-


Lager (German: storage) is a type of beer that is fermented and conditioned at low temperatures.  Pilsner pale lager is the most widely-consumed and commercially available style of beer in the world. Bock, Dortmunder Export and Märzen are all styles of lager. There are also dark lagers, such as Dunkel and Schwarzbier.

So, interestingly – Guinness (an Irish Beer) is trying for a German Style.  My hopes were not high.

Guinness Black Lager (bottled)

Appearance- Poured a dark black GuinnessLagercolor, with a eggshell colored head.  The head was not the frothy foam you get from stout in the can, or symmetric latticing from stout in the bottle, but more of a light foam that quickly dissipated. 

Nose- Light roasted grains and malts, with (just) a hint of chocolate.

Taste- Mellow and light.  Not a flavorful punch that you would associate with the Guinness brand.  Considering that a Black Lager is akin to the Schwarz and Dunkel beers….then this is Lager light.  Light hops, slight malty flavor and a flavor that reminded me of coffee that was made with 3rd run coffee grounds.  All flavors very subdued.

Overall-   Highly disappointed, and it hurts me to say it.  You might as well call this a foray into Light Beer for St. James Gate, even though it has a higher alcohol content vs the Stout available in the US (4.5% vs 4.3%).   The overall taste was bland and underwhelming.  The only reason I would serve this is if I was having a Guinness themed party – and I knew there were some light beer drinkers in the crowd. Mug

People have no idea how painful it was for me to write a negative review of a Guinness Product.  I really do wish they would stick with what they do best, and not play around. 

I’m sure the Guinness name will attract an audience to this release, and I also positive that it will gain a following.  To this, I wish Guinness luck – I just wont be buying it.

Its a sad sad day.

Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics