Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pocket Shot–Yes…..I bought one

Yes….I’ll admit it – I’m a sucker for items sitting at the counters of stores.

You know what I mean – Sampler Bottles, Candy, small items…..I’ll buy them.  In some cases, they have inspired me to revisit other items in the product line, at other times – it steered me away.Shot

Just the other day, we stopped at the store to get some drinks for a BYOB Trivia Night in Kingdom City (we came in 2nd BTW).

Of course, at the counter was something I have seen a few times, but not picked up….Pocket Shots.

From the Company Website -

Pocket Shot is an innovative new concept that provides the consumer with “grab and go” convenient and user-friendly package for alcoholic beverages. Packaged with a distinctive shape to resemble a miniature bottle complete with bottleneck for easy pouring and a high quality sheen with bright graphics, Pocket Shot is truly the first new concept in alcohol packaging to hit shelves in North America.

Each Pocket Shot comes in a 50 ml single serve flexible stand-up pouch containing 80 proof varietals including:

  • Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Aged Four Years
  • Imported Caribbean Gold Rum
  • Premium, Triple Distilled Vodka
  • London Dry Gin
  • Especial Gold Tequila Imported from Mexico

In my particular case, I purchased Pocket Shots Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

The first thing that grabbed me about the product was packaging.

Side ViewBottom

Slim, compact and self standing – I found this actually to be quite nice.  I could definitely see this being slipped into a back pocket, tucked into a jacket, hidden in a purse – thus making it easy to slip a drink into those high priced Sporting Events or Concert that bend you over with the price of beer.

ColorAppearance- The shot poured exactly 1oz as advertised and had a deep gold color.

Nose – Sweeter smelling than expected, with hints of fruit (orange rind) and light oak.

  • Taste- At the low end of alcohol content (40%ABV), there is little of the whiskey “Burn”.   Again the sweetness and fruit (still front ended as orange), although almost no oak was conveyed in the taste. 

To say I was actually surprised at the quality of the whiskey would be an understatement.  It was definitely on par (if not exceeding) something like Keesler or Old Crow.  If it had a little more bite to it, I would put it up with Old Granddad (which I also find sweet).  It’s definitely not Maker’s, but at that price – what do you expect?  The only thing lacking is the oak taste, but considering the age of maturation (4 years) this is understandable.

Overall - great packaging + unique idea + solid product = 3.5 Stars. 

My interest is now piqued in the rest of the Pocket Shots line…..so stay tuned for more reviews.

I would definitely consider stashing a  few of these away for my next ND game – and I wouldn’t be embarrassed to brake them out for my friends.  Will it replace some of the bourbons and scotches I normally drink/serve?  No.  But it will be in my pocket from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics