Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Robert Duvall

How can you not love Robert Duvall?  He’s a been an actor I have loved since I saw him as Lucky Ned Pepper in True Grit and Frank Burns in MASH when I was a kid, Tom Hagen in the Godfather series and Col. Kilgore in Apocalypse Now, and teaching young boys to be men as HUB in Second Hand Lions (a very underrated movie).

He’s a man’s man, and he can play emotions like a violin.  If you have a dry eye after his part in The Road – turn in your man-card immediately.

Today is his birthday and it was hard for me to settle on a scene that captures the spirit of him as a actor.

I finally decided on his portrayal as Boss Spearman from Open Range.

While Costner does 99% of the speaking in scene….I enjoyed watching the body language (and the quick chuckle) from Duvall. 

 

Open Range is a highly underrated Western, and IMO one of the Top 5 ever made.  It goes back to a simpler time, where men were men and deals were done on a handshake and trust.  My favorite line is -

“My friend and me got a hankerin for Swtzerland Chocolate and a good smoke”

If you haven’t seen this movie, you are doing yourself a disservice.  Pour yourself a few beers, kick back this weekend and check it out.

Happy Birthday Robert – thanks for the memories.

PS for Randy – He just finished a TV Movie called Hemingway and Gellhorn

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics