Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Hemingway Daiquiri–Recipe and Review

In case you missed it last week I ran a post a post on The Hemingway Daiquiri. So over the weekend Randy (frequent poster from MySideoftheBar) went into the lab to research and create one.  I turn it over to him -

For background, The Daiquiri is one of the six basic cocktails as listed in “The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks” by David Embury. (A must read for true mixoligists) Ok ,before you ask the other five are

  • The Martini
  • The Manhattan
  • The Old Fashion
  • The Side Car
  • The Jack Rose

I also can take the credit for creating another drink named after my favorite author, The Hemingway Highball.

Now the Daiquiri is NOT the same drink as the ones I have been familiar with most of my drinking life. The Daiquiri was original a cocktail and NOT the frozen sweet drink that we know today.

So with that in mind I created a Hemingway Daiquiri. I used all fresh ingredients and for a reminder here is the recipe

  • 1 1/2 OZ Light Rum
  • ¾ OZ Fresh Lime Juice
  • ½ OZ Fresh Grapefruit Juice
  • ¼ OZ Maraschino Liquor

Add Ice and ingredients to shaker and shake until very cold
Pour into glass of choice and garnish with a lime wedge

Hemmingway

The Review:
I can say this was a great surprise. Very refreshing and very fruity and for those of you who are expecting a Daiquiri as you may know it you will be surprised by the differences. The drink is a little on the sour side and will remind you of a made from scratch Margarita (of course without Tequila or Cointreau) I had to have about four before I could really appreciate this cocktail.


Now looking ahead and reading “The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks” I found a variation of this drink that will be more appealing to those of you who have been hooked on today’s Daiquiri.


I added one teaspoon of sugar and coated the rim with powered sugar to sweeten it up. I was not found of the new additions, but I do believe that others will be more apt to enjoy it. I would also suggest adding a teaspoon (more if not sweet enough) of strawberry, raspberry, or other syrup in place of the grapefruit juice to change the flavor and sweeten the drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics