Monday, April 18, 2011

Tolkien and Beer

I’m going to go out on a limb here and name JRR as the Official Author of Smokes and Booze.

I’ve been reading the Hobbit and LOTR series almost longer than I can remember. Mike introduced me to the books (while I nudged him to Forrester and the Hornblower novels) when we were kids, and we have spent countless hours discussing these books and their meanings.

bilbo2From the great Rankin and Bass Cartoon in 1977 to the upcoming Hobbit feature, I’ve been captivated by the world of Middle Earth.

James’ first movie (yes, I even bought him a ticket for us to have seat for his carrier) was the Fellowship of the Ring Midnight premier.

I’ve enjoyed tales of Pubs and Inns, Pipeweed and Beer, and even Miruvor.

I cried when I saw they omitted the Scourging of the Shire from the Movies (obviously due to Peter Jackson inexcusable killing of Sauruman).

You could say I am a Tolkien Geek.

So, to hear Professor Tolkien say (in his own words) how he enjoys a good beer and smoking……man, that is icing on the cake. It even makes the line in Fellowship (the movie) even funnier, when Merry says “It comes in PINTS”.

Anyway, here is the vid- Jump to the 11:20 Mark if you just care about the beer and smoking, but the video itself (and the 2nd part of the series which is also below) is worth the time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, these two video's are golden... "Cult of the Hobbit... cult of Tolkien." I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Statistics