Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Quick Hits Vol2

Here we are again, with the latest installment of the Monday Quick Hits, stories or experiences from over the weekend that I was just to lazy (or they don’t warrant) to write a whole blog post about.

The first one I want to speak about is in regards to Bennigan’s and recent my poor experience there. It made the Vol1 of the Quick Hits, and I wanted to say that the Manager has reached out to me and was thankful for the feedback. We had made arrangements to re-try Bennigan’s (as guests of the Manger), but were unable to connect….and this was 100% my fault. I do plan to revisit in the future (after Baseball and Soccer are done) and will let everyone know how it goes.

Next we have more on “The Royal Wedding”. I originally thought I could cover the wedding with ONE POST, but then two new stories came out this weekend that both shocked me and made me laugh.

The Daily Mail is reporting that beer has been banned from the festivities. WHAT??? Ban Beer? The article has some real nuggest of info -

  • “Let's face it, it isn't really an appropriate drink to be serving in the Queen's presence at such an occasion.”
  • “while the younger royals enjoy a pint from time to time, neither Kate nor William is a big beer drinker so they decided to leave it off the menu.”
  • Miss Middleton has never particularly enjoyed drinking - preferring to sip one small glass of wine.

imageSo let me get this straight, beer isn’t good enough for the Queen and Ms. Middleton doesn’t enjoy drinking? There goes the fate of the free world, plus I doubt Windsor Knot will be sending any cases soon.

Which leads me to my next story (also involving the Royal Wedding), where again the Daily Mail reports on a Mr. Cameron Reilly, a member of the Scots Guards, and his opinions of Ms. Middleton, London and Jews.

  • Bearskin, 18, called her 'posh b****' and 'stuck-up cow' on Facebook after perceived snub
  • Said he fantasized about shooting Jews while on duty
  • Described London as a 'Paki holding cell'

article-1380100-0BC1D9F900000578-487_634x550Of course, this wouldn’t be Smokes and Booze material unless he was a little off. With a quote of “He's a big boozer and not what you'd call a thinker. He downs Buckfast fortified wine and likes raucous nights out.” and pictures of him kissing a bottle of Vodka….he does us proud.

Finally, I want to give a shoutout to a great local bar, but one that only a few of you can frequent. The bar in question is at the VFW Post 280 in Columbia MO. Stepping into this bar is like stepping into any other bar around the US. There is a jukebox, a pool table and shuffleboard. TVs play sports and they even have free popcorn. What makes this bar special are the people that frequent it. These are the men and women that “have been there and done that”. Some are older, veterans of WWII, Korea or Viet Nam. Others are of my generation, Gulf War 1 or the countless conflicts since (and still ongoing). Walking in, you feel an immediate sense of belonging and everyone there is very accepting. An added bonus, as a private club, it’s one of the few bars in Columbia you can smoke in. This isn’t a place you’ll write home about, and it’s not all flashy….but honestly, I don’t think I (or any of the other patrons) would have it any other way….as long as the beer is cold and keeps on flowing.

If you are a veteran, you should check out VFW.Org and see what they have to offer in your community. You earned it.

Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics