Thursday, May 20, 2010

$4 bottle of Rum – One of the best I’ve had

Ok, now I know I have your attention…..especially you bastards in the cheap seats.

Today I was prowling my local liquor section, and I saw something next to the Sailor Jerry Rum….a bottle that looked like it was intended to mate with it…..Blackheart Premium Spiced Rum

At $14 a bottle, how could I say no? (Ed Note – Sailor Jerry is going for $17 a bottle, so there is not much price difference).

Expecting a Sailor Jerry knockoff…..not only was I pleasantly surprised, but very impressed.

In fact, Blackheart beat Sailor Jerry in every important category.

First, Blackheart has a Hot Pirate Chick on the Bottle…Sailor Jerry a tattoo Hula Girl.

Second, 93 Proof vs 92 Proof.

Third, price is comparable….but Blackheart has a great 2nd time buy incentive (see below)

Finally, the drink itself

Nose- Sweet, light, refreshing.  Hints of fruit (oranges) linger behind a vanilla aroma.

Taste- The vanilla comes out in force (especially when splashed with water) , combined with a nutmeg and oak burn.  Love it.

Finish- Neat, dry oak finish….very delicate and no burn, even when drank neat.

Not only did I come away impressed with the rum, but I think it puts Captain Morgan’s to Shame……Sailor Jerry was just boarded and forced to walk the plank.

I also noticed the hang-tag attached to the bottle offering a $10 mail-in rebate.  Considering that a single costs on $14 (here in inflation driven Boondocks MO), for basically $18 you can enjoy one bottle and stock your bar with another.

In fact, I am currently working on a write-up (augmenting an article) on setting up a bar, and I can honestly say…….if you like Spiced Rum, Blackheart is the way to go…..both Well AND Top Shelf.

If I were to rate this as a non-mixer, but straight (as I do all liquors), Blackheart Premium Spiced Rum is literally a 5 Star Product, and one that I would recommend to anyone.

Pick it up and enjoy a glass…..I know I am.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics