Friday, April 23, 2010

It’s all about the fans

Yeah Right.

Kelly Clarkson is upset to learn that a cigarette company (Diarum)  is a sponsor for her upcoming show in Indonesia.

She contends that she never approved the promos, doesn’t smoke and would NEVER be the ambassador to youth smoking.

"If Kelly Clarkson goes ahead with the concert, she is by choice being a spokesman for the tobacco industry and helping them to market to children." – Matt Myers- President of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Tobacco Free Kids is another one of those organizations that that think taxing tobacco is the solution to all America’s woes.  With such nuggets at their site: Tobacco Taxes – A win win for CASH STRAPPED STATES (emphasis mine), Count down to a smoke free America, and Victory for Kids Health -President, Congress Increase Tobacco Tax to Fund Children's Health Insurance; it’s a small wonder how this group leans. 

What I particularly love, Tobacco Free Kids is an American Group….all about taxation and “criminalization” here in the US…..but the concert tour is in INDONESIA.  They can’t even be satisfied without meddling in other countries.

Meanwhile…..

"Unfortunately, my only option at this point was to cancel the show in order to stop the sponsorship. However, I can't justify penalizing my fans for someone else's oversight. This is a lose-lose situation for me and I am not happy about it but the damage has been done and I refuse to cancel on my fans." – Kelly Clarkson (from her Blog)

Sure thing Kelly.  It’s about the fans.  How about the real motivator, MONEY.  You can’t cancel or else you lose it.  If you can’t find a replacement sponsor, you loose it. 

In the end, Kelly has since canceled the sponsor.  While I applaud her right to choose….you know it is only about the image, one that as a celeb, she is afraid to tarnish.  It’s a fine line they walk….and some barely have enough talent to walk away unscathed.  I really doubt that having her up there will cause even 10 new kids to start smoking (I want to be like Kelly….smoke Diarum and win American Idol….but I am in Indonesia….?), but at least we have forced our morals on another country.

I say Smoke Up Johnnie…..it’s the only way to enjoy life :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics