Monday, November 2, 2009

The Showdown



Tonight we compare two seasonal beers, Samuel Adams Octoberfest and Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale.

Both beers caught my eye by having pumpkins on the Bottle, and it was Halloween when I bought them....so kudos to the marketing teams for both companies for hooking me away from that 12 pack of Stag that was calling my name.

The first beer I would rate is the Samual Adams Octoberfest Beer.

A product of Boston Brewery, the Sam Adams Website has this to say about the Brew:

The first thing you notice when pouring a glass of this seasonal beer is the color. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest has a rich, deep golden amber hue which itself is reflective of the season. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest is a malt lover's dream, masterfully blending together five roasts of barley to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The beer is kept from being overly sweet by the elegant bitterness imparted by the German Noble hops. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest provides a wonderful transition from the lighter beers of summer to the winter's heartier brews.

Now I have tasted more than my fair share of Oktoberfest Beers in Germany, and let me tell you....this is not them. Instead, I found it as a more sophisticated version of a traditional Sam Adam Lager, with a sweet candy taste of Carmel. Before you say that is a cop-out, my tasting notes said Toffeefae (SP)in relations to the candy...and I don't read the companies site until after I drank a few...so I really is how I felt about it.

I found it to be a step up from Sam Adams, although the aftertaste after 4-5 started to get old and take away some from the experience.

Next up is Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale, from Blue Moon.

Their website has little information other than:

Brewed early September through Late November.
Color - Copper Orange (no shit)
Made with the flavor of vine ripened pumpkins.
Full Bodied with a smooth finish
Goes great with turkey, sweet potatoes and beef.

Talk about lame.

Anyway, the beer itself tastes like a hefewiezen with a hint of spices. While ok to drink, I really felt there there was something to be desired when I finished. I couldn't discern between the "Pumpkin" and the other spices, so I think that calling this Harvest Moon PUMPKIN Ale is a bust.

I could see this being a favorite amongst the ladies, and perhaps a little orange zest on the head would bring all the flavors together....but I was tasting as is, out of the bottle.

So, in the head to head battle of Fall Beer...Sam Adams wins HANDS down.

As a side note, Samuel Adams is owned by Boston Brewery (did I say that already?) and is the largest American own brewery. So when in doubt, buy American.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics